Sunday, November 9, 2008

Playing Dress-Up

I was in New York City interviewing for an editorial position at a prom planning website (affiliated with a wedding registry site), last year at this time. Despite the fact that I wore shiny lip gloss and put together a snappy book of writing samples, I think they saw through me and realized I had spent my own prom night alone, and just wouldn`t fit in around the office. Had I received that job, right now I would be in Manhattan dressed in a cute skirt, working in a chic office and writing about how to be stylish and land a dream date. Instead, I live on the outskirts of Mexico City and wear sweatpants to a workplace where most of my co-workers are celibate and women dress in white sari habits or worn, hand-me-down clothing. I realize that the job would not have suited me, but I still wonder if I could of hacked it as a party-scene reporter. For this blog posting, I am going to try to be one as I present the details of the wedding I attended with Jessica and Javier on Friday night, for one of their college friends.

Preperation

When packing for Mexico, Jessica and I both chose cargo pants over evening wear, so we struggle to find clothing suitable for the wedding. We both end up wearing black (a wedding faux pas as it symbolizes mourning). Each of us add color to our outfits with the scarves we had received as gifts from an associate (another faux pas, wearing matching clothing if you are over the age of ten).

Additionally, I didn`t pack dress shoes since I thought I could get by with sandals. I`ve since learned that it gets cold at night, so I go to buy new shoes. The shoplady looks at me blankly when I request a size eight and half, as the size system is different here. She brings me the largest shoe size possible, but it is still too small, as are several other styles. Feeling like an ugly stepsister as I struggle to make my feet fit, I wind up in boots.

The Ceremony


Outside the church, the bride, Monica, is greeting guests. She is small and beautiful and wears a form-fitting white gown decorated with royal purple trim. Her dark hair is teased and pulled back and her ears are decorated with handmade, white and purple, beaded and feathered earrings. The groom, David, is there looking dashing as well, but as any six year-old girl who owns one Ken doll for every 15 Barbie dolls knows, no one really cares what the men are wearing.

The ceremony takes place at St. Francisco`s Cathedral, which is elaborately and elegantly decorated with Renaissance-style murals and statues. Both the bride and groom walk down the aisle with their father and mother, followed by everyone attending the wedding. Mass seems pretty typical of other Catholic wedding services that I have attended, except that at one point, loose ropes tie the bride and groom together to signify their bond. Additionally, the groom gives the bride coins to show he will provide and she will take care of him.

The Reception

We drive an hour and a half away to the reception hall, a large room with square tables seating 12 on both sides of the dance floor. On a second floor alcove above the dance floor, the band plays. David and Monica wait in the car for everyone to arrive before they make their entrance. As soon as they walk in, they have their first dance to `You are so Beautiful to Me.` Beer and soda are served while guests dance to salsa and ranchero music.

Food

Dinner is not served until 12:30 in the morning. First course is cheese soup, next is creamed apples and the main dish is chicken with carrot salad. All of it is brought out by a tuxedoed waitstaff, who earlier had performed a sort of choreographed line-dance to start festivities.

Antics

When all single ladies are called to the dance floor, I think it is to catch the bouquet. Instead, the bride and groom stand on chairs across from each other, with David holding onto the end of Monica`s veil. Their fathers and a few men stand beside the chairs, holding onto their bodies. The women grasp hands and begin running around and under the veil. Intermittently, they knock themselves into the men surrounding Monica.

I soon realize that the goal is to bring Monica down. I am terrified and clutch Jessica`s hand and try not to injure any small girls. Monica stays standing and then tosses her bouquet. The same events occur for David, only with men who are able to bring him down and carry him around the room. He throws the garter belt, and the recipients of the tosses are offered to the crowd as dance partners.

Dancing

The band mostly plays salsa and I do my best to keep up with seasoned partners. However, I am completely lost when it comes to line-dancing. I think of something only Americans in the South and Western know how to do, but almost everyone at the wedding is adept at it. I let Javier and our tablemate Hewe guide me along to country songs that grow increasingly faster until everyone is exhausted.

Sweets and Treats

After dinner, a bottle of tequila is distributed to each table and the bride and groom are toasted while `Bittersweet Symphony` plays. They cut the cake and the crowd cheers them by chanting ``Chick-a-dee-chick-a-dee-boom-bam``

Happy Ending

We leave at 2:45 in the morning, even though the dancing is still going strong. I am in bed around 4:00. Though I am not be writing about the life of parties, there is still plenty of celebrating to do where I am now.

No comments: